By Patrick O’Connor-CannonPublished Nov 02, 2017 05:56:38Australia’s largest women’s rights organisation, the Men’s Health Foundation, has set up its own hospital, the Melbourne Men’s Hospital, in the capital, to help provide a safer space for men in the nation’s second-largest city.
The Men’s Life Foundation says it aims to provide safe spaces for men, with a goal of treating up to 20 per cent of men’s maladies and injuries, and to improve outcomes for men.
Men’s Health has previously been credited with helping to secure women’s right to vote and the appointment of more than 200 female lawyers.
The foundation’s founding director, Tim Winton, says the new Men’s Melbourne hospital will be a centre for women’s health.
Mr Winton says the foundation was able to secure the building at a cost of $2 million and is committed to working with government and other stakeholders to build a safe and welcoming environment for men to live their lives.
“This hospital will provide safe and supportive space for the men who have suffered from maladies such as chronic pain, post-traumatic stress, depression, sexual assault, and anxiety,” Mr Winton said.
“This will also provide them with support, counselling, and treatment options that will help them recover and lead to more productive lives.”
Men’s Life founder Tim Winkle says the Men in Melbourne hospital is the first of its kind in Australia.
“The men in Melbourne are one of the first groups to have a hospital where men can go to seek medical attention,” Mr Wang said.
He said the Men on Men’s (MOM) movement is also focused on women’s wellbeing.
“We’re really focused on making sure that we can provide our men with the support they need to be successful in the workforce,” he said.
The Melbourne Men in Health is one of two new hospitals set up in the Melbourne area by the Mens Health Foundation.
The first is in Port Stephens, in western Melbourne.
The second is at Parkville, in central Melbourne.
Mr Wang said the MOM movement aims to be a global community-led effort.
“There’s no doubt that men and boys are at greater risk of suicide, which is something we’re working to address,” he told The Irish News.
“In the US alone, one in six men will experience an attempted suicide, and that’s because of the stigma around it, and because of all of the work that we’re doing around that, to make sure that men can live their best lives.”
Mr Wang says the men’s hospital will offer men support in the workplace and provide an environment for them to seek out treatment.
“Our men’s health facilities are not only safe for our men to be here, they’re also a place where men have a chance to seek treatment, get help and feel supported,” he added.
The new men’s facility is being built by a team of Melbourne contractors and a group of construction workers from the State Government.
It will be one of three new hospitals built in the city over the next few years, with more to come.